Part 4 of the Series:
Paleo and Zone
- Paleo – diet based on the types of foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans, consisting chiefly of meat, fish, vegetables, and fruit, and excluding dairy or grain products and processed food.
- Zone – Creating a balance of Macronutrients: Protein, Fat, Carbs
- Zone aims to balance the body’s hormonal response to foods.
- Your blocks are based off of: body weight, body fat percentage, weekly activity level.
- Calculators to help are found online.
- Tips for success: Pick a day to weight and prepackage, Get a big lunch cooler and pack it full every day. Download your food list in single block measurements on your phone.
Gut microbiome, probiotics, fermented food
- About 4.4 lbs of microbes in our gut
- Tens of trillions of micro-organisms, at least 1000 species of bacteria.
- 2/3 of gut microbiome is unique to the individual
- Lack of gut bacteria variety may be the driver for food allergies
- We consume 1/millionth of the bacteria our ancestors used to
- Kombucha aids digestion. (bacteria, acid, enzymes)
- Water kefir more of a general probiotic, has more bacteria then Kombucha
- Your body needs enzymes to properly digest, absorb, and make full use of your food.
- As you age, you lose enzymes.
- Scientists hypothesize if you could guard against depletion, you would live a longer healthier life.