Insulin is released in response to blood sugar increase. When insulin reaches cells it opens them up to allow glucose to be used. The glucose is used immediately or stored for later use.
This process causes blood sugar to fall. The amount of insulin released depends on the amount of carbohydrates consumed
A meal high of high glycemic carbs and not much fat/protein can result in a blood sugar crash causing tiredness and hunger to return quicker.
Chronically elevated levels of blood sugar, which render you insulin/leptin resistant, screw up your hunger signaling all together. This makes it hard to lose fat and regulate your blood sugar/feeding patterns.
You can avoid most of these problems by engaging in high intensity activity on a regular basis, eating carbs around training, and eating mixed meals of fat, carbohydrate, and protein to regulate absorption.
Produced in the adrenal gland
Responsible for fight or flight response
Also released when blood sugar gets low
Increases blood sugar via gluconeogenesis, the process by which fat and protein are broken down to make glucose
If you wake up at 230-3am often, sign of adrenal fatigue.
If your cortisol levels are high when they shouldn’t be, you’ll be too wide awake to sleep. But cortisol also plays a role in blood sugar regulation. And if it dips too low, it could take your glucose levels with it.
This floods your body with adrenaline. And it wakes you up in a wired, desperate search for emergency fuel—usually in the form of carbs or sugar—right around 3 in the morning.
So those middle-of-the-night fridge raids? Well they actually point to some serious hormone problems. Fix the imbalances, and you won’t be waking up starving in the middle of the night any more. In fact, you won’t be waking up in the middle of the night at all.
On September 24th and 26th, Matt McKinney and Bill Santasiero gave a 90 minute seminar on Nutrition and how it affected you in and out of the box. Here’s part 1 of 6 of the series. I’m going to place some notes down after the video as a takeaway.
What does the body use for fuel?
• Glucose primary fuel source
• Complex carbohydrates are extended release versions of glucose
• Glucose is an essential nutrient, but can be created from protein/fat via gluconeogenesis.
• When liver is depleted of glycogen it turns to fat for fuel.
• Ketones are created when fatty acids are broken down in the liver.
• Following a high fat/low carb diet a person’s brain get about 25% of its energy from ketones. After 3 weeks, that number increases to about 70% with the other 30% still from glucose.
• Ketogenic diets have seen success reducing issues with epilepsy, Alzheimer’s, and Parkinson’s to name a few.
• Increases GABA neurotransmitters and reduces glutamate neurotransmitters decreasing neuronal excitability and glutamate cytotoxicity.
Glucose vs Fructose
• Glucose preferred energy source not fructose
• They have different metabolic pathways.
• Fructose is only metabolized in the liver and is preferential to glycogen storage in the liver.
• Once the liver is full of glycogen, excess fructose is stored as fat.
• Fructose does not stimulate the production of leptin. Leptin is what tells your brain you’re full.
• If people continued to eat fructose only in fruit and occasionally honey as our ancestors did, the body would easily process it without any problems.
• Additionally, fructose is converted by the liver into glycerol, which can raise levels of triglycerides. High triglycerides are linked to increased risk of atherosclerosis and heart disease.
• Concentrated forms of fructose: agave, crystalline fructose, high-fructose corn syrup, to name a few
High fructose intake has been associated with:
• Increased levels of circulating blood lipids
• Fat around the middle
• Lowered HDL
• Increased levels of uric acid (associated with gout and heart disease)
• Liver scarring (cirrhosis)
• Fatty liver
• The formation of AGE’s* (advanced end glycation products), which can lead to wrinkling and other signs of skin aging
• *Some studies show that fructose creates AGE’s up to 10 times more efficiently than glucose